Antworten
Seite 1 von 29 12311 ... LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 285
  1. User Info Menu

Who watches English/American movies in original?

I like to watch movies in the English original version.
    Sometimes it's difficult to understand without subtitles (even if the actors mumble or whisper), but mostly I prefer the original, because niceties in language and humour are better to regognize and get lost in the synchronization.

Who is interested in discussing movies in English? Which movies do you prefer?

Here are some of the films I like very much and I have watched in the original version:

The Sheltering Sky
    Babel
    Dangerous Liaisons (I love the dialogues)
    The Age of Innocence
    The Matrix trilogy
    Gladiator
    Much ado about nothing
    The English Patient
    The Ocean's trilogy
    Blade Runner
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Remains of the Day
    and many more
    Manche Menschen leben so vorsichtig, die sterben wie neu.

"In Deinem Alter..."
    "Ich bin nicht in meinem Alter!"

It‘s called a joke. We used to tell them before people became offended by everything.

2. User Info Menu

AW: Who watches English/American movies in original?

I like to watch movies in the English version as well - it is a good exercise, furthermore, I often prefer the actor's original voices to the dub voices.

What I do when I don't understand what is being said (when the actors mumble or when they're speaking with an accent that I'm not used to) is switching on the (English!!!) subtitles. I had to do that when watching Lord of the Rings (one of my favourite movies) - especially for Aragorn (As I find Viggo Mortensen very hard to unserstand).

When watching a movie in the cinema, I always prefer the English version except when going with someone who doesn't understand English. Thanks god I live close to a bigger city, so finding a cinema that shows the original version is never a problem.

Watching the dubbed versions of the movies can result in weird listening experiences - for example, when the german voice is exchanged or when the same voice is used for different actors.

3. User Info Menu

Oh, a posting.
    I already supposed that noone shares my preference.

I agree that English subtitles are very helpful to understand burry articulation. When watching a DVD at home, I often use the English subtitles.

Unfortunately I haven't watched Lord of the Rings in English yet.

Do you agreee that British actors or those who are not native speakers are a lot easier to understand than Americans? (Where does Viggo Mortensen come from?)

One of the biggest problems is slang, special terms that are untranslatable literally, wordplays or terms that are allusive.
    I had a lot of situations watching a movie in English, that I had seen in German before, and I laughed about funny text passages, whose wit, esprit and originality got completely lost in the translation.

But the most annoying thing for me is how sometimes the English movietitles are translated into German. These German titles are often so ridiculous!

"In Deinem Alter..."

It‘s called a joke. We used to tell them before people became offended by everything.

4. User Info Menu

I don't have the time to watch TV (or DVDs etc.) every day but I brought me some DVD movies from the USA and I could watch them on my Laptop (and select "Zone 2" for the DVD drive... you are only allowed to change the "Zone" 3 times until it will become permanent).
    Another good idea is to purchase DVD movies over the internet from shopping sites such as Amazon dot de from UK origin. Those come by default with the english language setting and one can still select german subtitles or german language (with english subtitles (?)... I forgot...).

I am not sure though, because it is long time ago that I bought or watched DVD movies but I remember that I felt it was definitely a good idea to purchase the UK DVDs and they work without a problem in any DVD player in combination with a TV set.
    I guess UK is in the same "Zone (Zone 1 or something...) as Deutschland, so that is why UK DVDs work in German DVD players just fine.

5. User Info Menu

Zitat Zitat von Mediterraneee Beitrag anzeigen
    Do you agreee that British actors or those who are not native speakers are a lot easier to understand than Americans? (Where does Viggo Mortensen come from?)
    If you ever have the chance- do it! It is so much nicer.
    I can't remember Viggo mumbling, but knowing that he is a Dane, I imagine he does. Many Danes have that wonderful way of speaking English, and often it comes out a bit 'squeezed'. Their language sounds like carrying a potato in the mouth, they just transfer this habit into English.
    Zitat Zitat von Mediterraneee Beitrag anzeigen
    One of the biggest problems is slang, special terms that are untranslatable literally, wordplays or terms that are allusive.
    I had a lot of situations watching a movie in English, that I had seen in German before, and I laughed about funny text passages, whose wit, esprit and originality got completely lost in the translation.
    This is often true for TV comedies, too. I was amazed when I saw the first season of 'Coupling' in the original version. In German, it was boring and dumb, but turned into something extremely funny when I saw the real thing. Not to talk about 'Black Adder' wonderfully funny, but only in English.

I reached my limits of understanding with 'Jeeves and Wooster', the PG Woodhouse characters played by Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie. They speak so fast! I loved them anyway...

Another movie I didn't understand was 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?'. I was quiet depressed, until my british flatmate happily said "Don't worry, dear. For this movie, I need subtitles, too". She was also the one who burst into a fit of laughter when we saw 'Alexander' with Colin Farell. She said she never assumed that Macedonians spoke with Irish accents...

I'm also very fond of the BBC costume dramas - is there anything nicer than the long version of 'Pride and Prejudice'?

Here comes a list of a few of my favourite movies/series:
    Brideshead revisited(1980ies version with Jeremy Irons)
    Hear my song
    Funny bones
    Cold Comfort Farm
    A Love Song for Bobby Long
    and I'm sure there are much more than I can list in lunch break...

Best
    Polarstern
    Geändert von Polarstern (02.03.2010 um 14:02 Uhr)

6. User Info Menu

Good point, HQking.

Also, you can get code-free DVD players sometimes. Especially the cheap ones tend to be code free.

I don't order from Amazon UK very often, though. The DVDs I buy here (here = Switzerland) can also be watched in English, so I don't see why I should bother orderering them from abroad.

@Metiterraneee

I advise you to do so! If only to hear Gandalfs and Sarumans original voices. You can tell that those actors (or, at least Ian McKellan) has worked on stage - they have voices that can fill up a hall. Very impressive.

Where does Viggo Mortensen come from?)
    He's from Denmark, but spent many years of his life in New York. That's probably why I have difficulties understanding him, I'm just not used to the N.Y. accent. Furthermore, his articulation is kind of slurred.

By the way, I have the same problem with German actor Til Schweiger. When I listen him, I would love to have subtitles as well

Do you agreee that British actors or those who are not native speakers are a lot easier to understand than Americans?
    Depends. I can understand native British actors quite well - IF they're speaking a nice and clear English (the way I learnt this language in school). As for American actors - That really depends where they come from. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you any example from the top of my head - I would have to listen to some "examples" to be able to tell you in detail. But I will follow this up.

By the way, from the movies you stated, I've seen most of them in English too (if I have seen them at all). I had some difficulties following "Much ado about nothing" though - I'm not used to that kind of English. But I'll certainly give it another try one day.

I have one question: Is it still usual that German cinemas show dubbed versions of movies or has that changed?

7. User Info Menu

@polarstern

I'm also very fond of the BBC costume dramas - is there anything nicer than the long version of 'Pride and Prejudice'?
    I fully agree. And that's exactly the kind of English I find the easiest to unserstand.

8. User Info Menu

Zitat Zitat von Miriam68 Beitrag anzeigen
    He's from Denmark, but spent many years of his life in New York. That's probably why I have difficulties understanding him, I'm just not used to the N.Y. accent. Furthermore, his articulation is kind of slurred.
    Maybe that's why I understand him perfectly fine; one of my colleagues is from NY, and his pronounciation is very familiar to me.
    Depends. I can understand native British actors quite well - IF they're speaking a nice and clear English (the way I learnt this language in school). As for American actors - That really depends where they come from. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you any example from the top of my head - I would have to listen to some "examples" to be able to tell you in detail. But I will follow this up.

By the way, from the movies you stated, I've seen most of them in English too (if I have seen them at all). I had some difficulties following "Much ado about nothing" though - I'm not used to that kind of English. But I'll certainly give it another try one day.
    I had the same problem with Henry V. I like the movie a lot, but it is very difficult to understand.
    I have one question: Is it still usual that German cinemas show dubbed versions of movies or has that changed?
    No. If you are a small town girl like me, there is no cinema with English movies for the next 200 km. At my work we organize movie nights, which is always a nice social event, but that's all there is.

9. Inaktiver User

Hi there!

I've grown really lazy when it comes to watching films in general. I mostly watch movies or series on tv, but I do buy the occasional DVD. When I was younger I watched a lot of film in English in a nice small arthouse theater and I knew some people who enjoyed doing the same. But it needs practice, and since I'm primarily interested in understanding the films (I love movies), I've almost stopped watching them in English.

And then I agree that there are movies that are almost impossible to understand, even if your English is okay.

Now I'm slowly trying to get into it again with the help of DVDs and English subtitles.

By the way: If I could choose between a very small screen in an arthouse theater and a big screen in a multiplex, I'd rather see some movies on the big screen. I haven't watched any of the new 3D movies yet, but sometimes a DVD doesn't quite match the theater experience.

Thankfully, my local arthouse theater has started showing some of those movies in English, too. Now the only thing I need to do is scratch my lazy little self from the couch to go and actually watch them.

I've watched The Lord of the Rings in German because I wanted to see it on a really big screen. When I tried to watch it in English later, I couldn't continue. I actually think the German voices add to the pathos of the whole thing and the dubbed version is excellent. But maybe I'll give it another try one day (I've still got to get the extended version on DVD).

I think I read in an interview that Viggo Mortensen was basically raised in South America, even though he's American or Danish.

Nice thread!

cornflake
    Geändert von Inaktiver User (02.03.2010 um 15:13 Uhr)

10. User Info Menu

I agree, too, as far as "Oxford English" is concerned.
    But I also find it easier to understand someone talking heavy Cockney or any other British dialect than some guys coming from Texas or other southern states.
    One exception: Somebody, I nearly NEVER understand (because he doesn't only have a potato in his mouth but a whole market stall), is Sean Connery.

*laugh* Yes, you are right with Til Schweiger's German. He definitely should be subtitled!

"Much ado about nothing" and "Henry V." are films that I like very much, especially because of the language. It could be frustrating, that this English is so difficult to understand, but try to follow a Shakespeare play translated into German language. It's not so much easier. It's more art than language. And it's so elegant! What a difference between "What's your name?" and "Might I have the pleasure of your name?"

To answer your question, Miriam, yes, it's still usual to show dubbed movies in Germany. But thankfully in nearly every bigger city there are special movie theatres that show the originals (sometimes nice experiences and challenge: In Berlin I once saw an Aki Kaurismäki-movie in Finnish with English subtitles).

Polarstern, the language of people from N.Y. is also for me good to understand. I find their language the most pleasing to the European ear of all U.S. Americans.

Some of the German dubbing voices tend to overemphasize, which brings much more pathos into the film than the director might have intended. That's another reason for me to prefer the English version. The actors come across more authentically.
    Geändert von Mediterraneee (02.03.2010 um 17:09 Uhr)

"In Deinem Alter..."

Antworten
Seite 1 von 29 12311 ... LetzteLetzte